Sunday, April 5, 2009

California dreaming

I napped
today - a fitful sleep
and thought about
you and your uncanny ability
to sleep through the light

I woke up
groggy and missing you
jarred awake by
credits - the movie I'd needed
to lull me in the first place

and you can just slip
in and out
of dreams - stay awake all night
and you don't need patterns

and I
I need habit
structure and something solid something
dependable rhythmic something
I must've dreamed you could give

you used to wake me when you came to bed
I'd pretend I didn't notice
but you woke me then and when
your feet and hands twitched in the night

the other
night I thought you were awake so I
whispered from across the room
you didn't hear and then I
noticed the distinct heavy breathing

of your sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment